Michael is a leader, visionary, highly respected entrepreneur and author.
Michael had built numerous companies focused primarily in the Information Technology and Financial industries. In 2001, Michael founded Operitel Corporation, a learning software development company that he expanded worldwide. In 2006, Profit Magazine recognized Operitel as one of Canada’s hottest companies and then in 2008 as one of Canada’s fastest growing companies. Operitel has also won the Entrepreneurial Spirit Award in 2006, Employer of the Year in 2009 and in 2012, Michael won the Business Citizen of the Year Award from the Peterborough Chamber of Commerce. In 2011, Operitel was acquired by OpenText Corporation and Michael committed to stay on for two years to complete the integration of the Operitel team into the OpenText Learning Solutions portfolio.
Michael’s experience in the eLearning industry allowed him to contribute his knowledge by co-authoring a chapter found in a “Plan to Learn: Case studies in eLearning Project Management” and “eLearning Project Management: Canadian Perspective” as well as many other whitepapers.
Michael Skinner is currently the President and CEO of the Greater Peterborough Innovation Cluster and the Peterborough Based business Incubator "The CUBE".
Michael currently owns Kawartha Entertainment Group Inc. (KEGI) and MAS Capital Investments. KEGI includes The Venue, a modern multifunctional event space. MAS Capital is a property management company with commercial and residential real estate holdings in Peterborough.
Michael is passionate about the Peterborough Kawartha Region and sits on a number of volunteer boards and committees including:
- Director of the Peterborough Regional Angel Network
- Founding Member of StartUP Peterborough
- Director of the Shining Waters Railway Board (2006 -Present)
- 2nd Vice chair of the Peterborough Agriculture Society (2016 - Present)
- Past Vice-Chair of the Greater Peterborough Innovation Cluster (2012 - 2016)
- Past Director of the Peterborough Economic Development Board (2012 - 2016)
- Past Chair of the Peterborough Economic Development 2015-2020 Strategic Plan Committee (2014 - 2016)
- Past Director of the Shining Waters Railway Board (2014 - 2015)
- Past Member of the Trent University Student and Entrepreneurship Centre Working Group (2013 - 2015)
- Past Co-chair of the Trent University Business Council (2013 - 2015)
Michael was previously a volunteer with the Peterborough Regional Health Centre Foundation during the build of our new hospital, and a volunteer with the Kawartha Labour Market Planning Committee. Michael has also made a number of contributions to local charities through his “Location Sponsor” incentive program, which subsidizes some charity events held at The Venue. Michael believes in action over words and that following through on ambitions – whether they be based on personal, business, or community ambitions – requires leadership to ensure that they are a success. Based on his experiences in the community, Michael offers the kind of leadership, vision and drive necessary for success.