Meet Michael Skinner
Michael is a leader, visionary, highly respected entrepreneur and author.
Michael is the President and CEO of the Innovation Cluster (currently on leave) which supports innovative entrepreneurs in the formation and growth of technology-driven companies. Focusing on four key sectors, Cleantech, Agriculture Tech, Healthcare and Digital technology, the Innovation Cluster’s dynamic programming ensures that startups find their best path to market. The Innovation Cluster operates The Cube, Peterborough’s two full service business incubators located at Trent University and in downtown Peterborough.
With a strong focus on clean technology, the Innovation Cluster works closely with Fleming College’s Centre for the Advancement of Water and Wastewater Technologies (CAWT) and recently launched the Trent Makerspace located at Trent University, a world-class lab facility for clean-tech companies to produce, test and commercialize IP based biotechnology products.
Michael Skinner is the 2011 Peterborough Chamber of Commerce Business Citizen of the Year, on the 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 Peterborough’s 20 Most Influential People list and a 2017 inductee into the Junior Achievement Peterborough, Business Hall of Fame.
Previously, Michael was the Chief Strategy Officer of RainMaker World Wide Inc. an organization with the purpose of developing innovative technology solutions that would produce clean water for communities in need, so they can thrive and never go thirsty. Prior to leaving RainMaker, Michael was part of the executive team that took the organization public on the OTC in 2017. In 2001, Michael founded Operitel Corporation, a learning software development company that he expanded worldwide. In 2006, Profit Magazine recognized Operitel as one of Canada’s hottest companies and then in 2008 as one of Canada’s fastest growing companies. Operitel has also won the following Peterborough Chamber of Commerce Awards; Entrepreneurial Spirit Award in 2006, Employer of the Year in 2009 and again in 2012. In 2011, Michael had a success exit with Operitel being acquired by OpenText Corporation, Canada’s largest software company.
Michael Skinner was also the Federal Conservative Candidate in the 2015 election and was acclaimed as the 2019 Federal Conservative Candidate in March of 2018.
Michael co-authoring a chapter found in a “Plan to Learn: Case studies in eLearning Project Management” and “eLearning Project Management: Canadian Perspective” as well as many other whitepapers.
Michael has been involved on several boards and committees including:
- Director of the Peterborough Regional Angel Network (2010 – Present)
- Chair of the Advancement of Water and Wastewater Technologies (CAWT) advisory board (2016 - Present)
- Founding Member of StartUP Peterborough. (2015 –Present)
- Vice Chair of the Peterborough Agriculture Society (2015 – Present)
- Advisory Chair of Carbon Control Systems (2017 – Present)
- Director of the Shining Waters Railway Board (2014 - 2017)
- Past Director of the Peterborough Economic Development Board (2012 - 2016)
- Past Vice-Chair of the Greater Peterborough Innovation Cluster (2012 - 2016)
- Past Chair of the Peterborough Economic Development 2015-2020 Strategic Plan Committee (2014 - 2016)
- Past Member of the Trent University Student and Entrepreneurship Centre Working Group (2013 - 2015)
- Past Co-chair of the Trent University Business Council (2013 - 2015)
- Past major gifts volunteer with the Peterborough Regional Health Centre Foundation (during the build of PRHC)
Michael was previously a volunteer with the Kawartha Labour Market Planning Committee. Michael has also made a number of contributions to local charities through his “Location Sponsor” incentive program, which subsidizes some charity events held at The Venue.
Michael believes in action over words and that following through on ambitions – whether they be based on personal, business, or community ambitions – requires leadership to ensure that they are a success.
Based on his experiences in the community, Michael offers the kind of leadership, vision and drive necessary for success.